There are many different forms of abuse including (but not limited to) physical, emotional, verbal, financial, digital and stalking. Sometimes, it can be a little tricky to know if you are in an abusive relationship. But if you have even a slight thought that you are being abused, read through these questions.
Below is a questionnaire to help you make a decision about your relationship.
- Does your significant other ever threaten you?
- Does your significant other tell you who your friends can be?
- Does your significant other make you feel like your feelings are not valid?
- Do you have equal control in your finances?
- Do you fear getting into arguments with your significant other?
- Are you able to say no to your significant other?
- Do you feel pressured into doing things you don’t want to do?
- Has your significant other ever intentionally physically harmed you?
- Does your significant other place passwords on various devices/accounts and deny you access?
- Does your significant other blame you after hurting or embarrassing you?
- Does your significant other minimize your pain?
- Do you feel more comfortable when you are not with your significant other?
- Are you able to wear what you prefer to wear?
- Are there certain things expected of you that make you uncomfortable?
- Do feel as if it is your fault you are being mistreated?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, it is time to take a look at your relationship. The first step is reaching out to a friend, family member, mentor or counselor. These people can usually give you insight that you may not see due to the closeness of your relationship. Just remember, it is never the victim’s fault in abuse cases. It is absolutely necessary to get out of any abusive situations.
If you or someone you know are being physically and/or sexually abused, please call the police and find the help to get out of that situation. You are worth far more than to be someone’s rag doll; you are uniquely and wonderfully made. You are so precious. Please know the value of your life and take back control.