It’s a horrible feeling when you recognize that things aren’t working in your marriage. You may want to be together but feel that there is too much broken or wrong with your relationship to make that happen. It’s not an easy thing to admit that things aren’t going well, but the good news is that you can help to get things back on track. You can work through the biggest challenges if you align and address the issues that are bringing you down. This will involve both of you and a willingness to admit what went wrong, and then to fix it in unison & save your marriage.
On the other hand, some couples may take the route of giving up on the marriage, but that doesn’t need to be your reality. At the very least, it’s well worth trying out these steps to see how they work for you and ultimately this may help you to recover a failing marriage.
Take a step back, reflect, and consider what is truly wrong and then try out these ways to fix a broken marriage:
1. Identify what made you fall in love
Get back to basics and put yourself into the mindset of when you were first together and first in love. Think about what made you both fall in love with one another and maybe even write it down. Consider what you adored about this person and what made you want to be with them. Though you may have lost sight of this, thinking back to when times were good and you had just fallen in love can really help to lift your spirits. Write down their best traits and you may even find that they are still there, but you’ve had a hard time getting in touch with them lately.
2. Start to listen to each other again
Have conversations again and really start to communicate with one another. Listen to what your spouse is telling you, and then ask the same from them. Really make it a point to listen to one another again and it may very well be what helps you to uncover what was once great about your marriage. Listening is powerful!
3. Reflect on what has made your marriage feel broken
Where did things go wrong? Have you grown apart? Did one of you cheat? Did life just get in the way?
These are some of the reasons why marriages fall apart:
- Communication gap: Lack of communication can be extremely damaging for a relationship. When couples stop sharing things with each other and expressing themselves, they weaken their chord of connection. And when their connection becomes fragile, their relationship also loses its strength. If your marriage is on the verge of falling apart, you must strengthen your connection by communicating more. Dearth of communication can drive a wedge between you and your partner.
- Infidelity: Cheating on your partner is mostly a deal breaker. If one of the partners in a relationship indulges in infidelity, it definitely damages the relationship.
- Lack of care and affection: With time passion fades in a relationship and couples stop showing affection and care towards each other. Eventually all the sweetness and warmth of the relationship goes away and there is no joy left in the marriage. This can cause marriage to fall apart.
- Crisis: Crisis situations can either make a marriage stronger or it can break it. In difficult times, how couples support each other determines how good or worse their relationship is going to get.
Even if a relationship has gone through such problems, saving a broken marriage is not impossible.There are plenty of circumstances for which you can work through even though they have chipped away at the marriage to this point. Think of when things went from good to bad, and then try to find a solution to work through this and get back to happier times.
4. Talk to each other
Be patient with one another, even in the areas that seem to present the biggest problems. Talk TO one another rather than AT one another. This is part of listening for when you increase the communication, it helps you to connect again. Be patient and willing to work through the problems and know that it will lead you to better times overall.
5. Don’t let distractions get in the way of your relationship
Sure you may have kids and careers and a whole lot of other things in your life, but don’t let them stand in the way of your marriage. Life gets busy but a couple must grow together and align throughout the good and bad times. Make it a point to date again, to talk more, and to ensure that you are still a unified source no matter how busy life may get.
6) Find a way to connect again
Think of what it would take to connect with each other once again. Plan a trip for just the two of you. Commit to spending even a few minutes together every night chatting. Go out on dates and make each other a priority. When you can find your way back to one another again and truly reconnect, then it may help to fix what has gone wrong to this point.
These suggestions about fixing a broken marriage will surely help you salvage your relationship. Sometimes it’s a matter of reflecting upon things that will help you to find lasting happiness, even when you thought that the marriage was doomed—this is how you get a broken marriage back on track and enjoy that happily ever after that you always dreamed of!