Why You Should Renew Your Vows
Why is it important to renew your vows? For some couples, it’s a way of reaffirming a union they believe in. However, people do it for a variety of reasons like experiencing major breakthroughs or accomplishments in their marriages. They express their desires of wanting to continue their commitments to one another.
Publicly displaying a couple’s love for each other can trigger all sorts of emotions and milestones in their relationship. It really says I’ll marry you all over again. Renewing a couple’s vows reminds us all that love really does have a meaning and that marriages do last.
Be that as it may, no one said married life was easy. If you’re celebrating your 20th year anniversary, it means you did not give up on each other. Happily, it also means you plan on staying around.
Renewing wedding vows
Some people get married young and don’t firmly understand what it takes to survive a marriage. Therefore, when the marriage reaches a certain point, they feel renewing their vows will act as a testimony to coming into a new understanding and falling in love again.
Maybe the marriage was a military marriage and due to deployment, more time was spent apart than together. This is an excellent reason to renew your vows.
Major events have a way of making us see things in another light. Recovering from an illness can sometimes bring a couple closer than before. Troubled marriages which survive when it should have fallen apart are among the best reasons to renew marriage vows.
Others do it possibly because they didn’t have a ‘real’ ceremony to start with and having an official observance will bring some sort of closure, if you will, to a little girl’s dream of having the ideal wedding. It can be special even in a small setting. There are hundreds of inexpensive ideas which can turn a budget wedding into an elaborate occasion.
Following the etiquette for renewing your vows
Yes, there’s a certain way you should plan the renewal of your ceremony although it’s not set in stone. Here are a few suggestions the experts suggest you take note of:
- Discuss with your partner the budget
- Decide who to invite [narrow it to family and few close friends]
- Select meaningful location and menu
- Write a new commitment to update your vows
- Choose the best person to officiate [Can be a friend or relative]
With that said, keep in mind, this is not a wedding do-over if you’re already married. It’s not necessary that you include bridesmaids or groomsmen and all of the local singles, but again, these suggestions are not set in stone. If you guys went to the Justice Hall, and want the full experience, by all means, include a wedding party.
The same goes for a gift registry. It’s not appropriate, but if this is your “official” wedding, and you still need certain things, make it happen. It could be you guys are transitioning into a new home as well and in this case, I’m almost positive gifts would be a welcomed surprise.
Also watch: Top 6 Reasons Why Your Marriage Is Falling Apart
Cheap wedding vow renewal ideas
The wedding vow renewal is all about the couple, focus on what’s important to the two of you. Planning is critical to having things done the right way. Here are some tips to help guide you in renewing your vows on a budget.
- Create the invitations yourself and email them. There are some excellent design sources online which make awesome invitations for free.
- Remember, anyone can officiate the wedding so this cost is also free. Hold the ceremony at your home or at a friend’s or relative’s place. Another great idea is the park, beach or church.
- Keep your beverages to a minimum. Check the web for cheap beverage ideas such as flavored teas, punches or daiquiris.
- Need glasses, plate, and utensils? Dollar Tree is what comes to my mind if you want to save some money. These items are disposable or you can reuse them for your next event. If, for some reason, you don’t have a Dollar Tree in your town, borrow from friends and family.
- You can keep the dinner menu to a low by using pasta dishes and salads. Another point to remember is Walmart makes a great sheet cake and adding any verbiage to the cake is free.
- Plan on having flowers? If the season is right, pick wildflowers. Some of them are beautiful. If not, stop by and get a dozen from Walmart while you’re picking up the cake. Use colorful ribbons to tie them together.
- Pictures? Who’s not snapping them these days? You’ll have plenty if you ask everyone to email them you. Decide on the best pics and add them to your online scrapbook and share them with the people who attend. When it comes to music, set up your own playlist using YouTube or Vimeo.
- What to wear? Almost every woman has at least one semi-formal or formal in her closet. Don’t have one? It’s okay. Pick one of your favorite pieces and jazz it up.
If we forgot to include anything on the list, please send us your ideas! Until then, good luck you two!
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.