The relationship between a father and daughter is a very intimate one. The way a father treats his daughter has a life-long impact on her. Every daughter sees her father as an ideal man. And throughout her life, even after marriage, she tries to find her father’s qualities in her husband; someone who treats her like a princess, makes her feel special and protects her.
In short, the bond between the two is very strong. And this bond is totally different from that of a mother and daughter.
However, this father daughter relationship after divorce changes whether it’s the father that has been divorced or the daughter. Let us see what disruption a divorce causes in this relationship. Note that a father daughter relationship after divorce is totally different from a mother daughter relationship after divorce.
- The daughter hates father after divorce for leaving her mother and turning a happy family into a broken family.
- She hates her father because he says bad things about her mom or abuses her.
- So as a result, the father daughter relationship after divorce results in daughters getting closer to their mothers and spending quality time with them. And they are less happy in their dad’s company after divorce.
- Divorced dads fail to understand their daughter’s interests, needs and the joys she had dreamed of. So a gap increases between them.
- The daughters might face trust issues when they enter into a relationship with their loved ones; because the most trustworthy man in a girl’s life is her father and if he breaks her trust, she loses faith in every man.
- Also, one more reason for hatred of daughters towards their fathers is their rising interest in some other woman and his kids from his second marriage.
Thus, these are a few points that show the impact on the father daughter relationship after divorce. On the other hand, there are solutions as well.
Improving father daughter relationship after divorce
There are many ways that can foster a father daughter relationship after divorce.
Here are some tips for divorced fathers;
- Keep in mind not to abuse your ex-wife that is the mother of your daughter. She might get hurt because her mother is still her ideal woman.
- Keep in touch with your daughter through social media. Text her, remind her of you, and show that you still care for her.
- Encourage her to be with both her parents as she needs both of them the most in her adolescence.
- Motivate her to achieve her goals and stand by her in the times of trouble.
- Do not try to put restrictions on her; give her space to grow and live freely. Trust her!
- Last and most important is to express your love to your daughter. Show her how much you care for her. Give her hugs, so that she feels your existence in her life.
Repairing the broken father daughter relationships
Besides the father, if the daughter is divorced, then she should also fulfill some of her duties towards her father. Let’s read a little about it too.
- Never hate your father because no matter what goes on in life, in the end, he is the only one you would find beside you.
- Be true and honest with your father. Share what you feel.
- Tell him about your needs. It is important for him to know if you need his time.
- If your relationship gets disturbed after the divorce, try to bring things back to their path. Build trust, and love for each other.
These are the tips that fathers and daughters need to follow. Although estranged father daughter relationships can be tough to deal with, we should never kill these relations. These are the blood relations that we live for. So we should always try to maintain them and keep them healthy.
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.