Narcissism is not just thinking you look great and are smart; it is actually having a narcissistic personality disorder. Symptoms of this disorder include a grandiose sense of self-importance, dreaming of unlimited success and beauty, having a sense of entitlement, and lacking empathy, just to start with. If you recognize these signs in your partner, take this ‘Is my partner a narcissist’ quiz to find out if you’re living with a narcissist!
1. Does your partner ever offer something to other people?
A. Yes, but only to expect more in exchange
B. Yes, but I don’t think it’s out of generosity
C. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t
D. Yes, out of pure generosity
2. Does your partner pressure you to do things their way?
A. Yes, always, and they get angry if I don't do as required
3. Does your partner break rules?
A. Yes, and they take pride in it
B. Yes, sometimes
C. Not really
4. How does your partner treat you when you don’t give them what they want?
A. They get angry and use ridicule and personal attacks
B. They give me the cold shoulder and withhold affection
C. They are upset but get over it
D. They accept it
5. What is your partner’s opinion about their achievements?
A. They exaggerate about it
B. They like to boast, but they are right
C. They talk about achievements without boasting
D. They are very modest about it
6. When you speak to them, they…
A. Shift the conversation to themselves
B. Shift the conversation to other topics
C. Sometimes tell a related story about them
D. Listen closely and tell me their opinion, if asked
7. Are they argumentative?
A. Yes, they argue about anything and everything
B. Yes, mostly
C. Yes, they do argue about some things
D. No, they always listen to other people’s opinions and ideas
8. How much attention do they need from you?
A. All of it
B. Most of it
C. They can need attention sometimes
D. They do not need attention, but like to be reassured
9. Do they consider other people’s desires and feelings?
10. Does your partner accept contrary viewpoints?
A. No, and they get mad when contradicted
B. No, and they ignore them
C. Yes, whether they like it or not
D. Yes, they embrace them without any problem
11. Do they think they are special?
A. Yes, to the point where nobody else matters
B. Yes, they consider themselves pretty special
C. Yes, sometimes they think they are more important than anyone else
D. Yes, but in a positive way
12. Does your partner consider their needs the most important?
A. All the time, they would even ignore our children's needs
B. I am afraid so
13. Does your partner envy other people?
A. Yes, a lot
B. Yes, sometimes
14. Does your partner reveal private information that most people would prefer to withhold?
A. Yes, and it's actually embarrassing
B. They follow this temptation sometimes
15. How does your partner react to criticism?
A. They get very angry and start defending themselves
B. They simply ignore it
C. They are not happy about it but listen to critics
D. They listen to critics and try to improve themselves