Commitment is the part of the relationship that provides safety and security, so couples can express their thoughts, feelings, and desires openly. With the rise in numbers of couples who live together rather than marry, compounded with the prevalence of divorce, it may seem as though people don’t care about commitment anymore. Yet people acknowledge that lack of commitment is a problem. Recent research found that approximately 85% of divorced couples indicated a lack of commitment to the marriage and to each other as their reason for divorce.
Here are 10 tips to maintain good commitment as a part of your regular routine as a couple.
1. Create a commitment statement. A commitment statement outlines the purpose and goals for their marriage. It may also include rules and boundaries that strengthen the marriage and make the couple feel secure.
2. Greet each other each day. Not only does hugging and kissing feel good, it is a special gesture to reinforce the commitment of spouses.
3. Talk and stay connected about your wants, dreams, etc. These topics are future-oriented; talking about the future can strengthen the current commitment.
4. Spend both quality and quantity time together. Making time for each other, just to check in or to have a date can strengthen the bond and reinforce spouses’ dedication to the marriage.
5. Be best friends with your spouse. Why not?
6. Remember that memories and traditions expand commitment. Doing special things together builds and honors traditions that are important to building meaning in your marriage.
7. Share spiritual activities together to help promote individual and relationship connection. Outlets like this can help a couple grow closer and strengthen each spouse’s commitment.
8. Value doing small acts of kindness. While it may be easy to take advantage of what your spouse gives for the benefit of the relationship, everyone desires to feel acknowledged. Doing a chore, bringing home a special gift, or sending a loving note are all simple but effective ways of showing love to your spouse and the commitment marriage.
9. Talk about how you met and the many reasons you fell in love. Reflecting on reasons for committing to one another in the first place can renew desire to capture and preserve the relationship.
10. Make intimacy a positive time for connection. This ultimate expression of commitment should be a special time that both spouses can look forward to.