Society has made great strides toward accepting all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, cultural background, gender identity, and sexual orientation. Despite this fact, some people may hold hatred or disgust toward specific groups of people. Maybe you’ve even been accused of hatred, and people have labeled you as homophobic. If this is the case, take our “Are You Homophobic? Quiz” below to get some answers.
1. Have you ever caught yourself using terms like “faggot” with no regard for how people may feel about this language?
A. No, I would never speak like this
B. I have occasionally used a term like this when I’m angry, but I know it’s not something I should say
C. I used this term all the time
2. Do you have any religious views that lead you to believe homosexuality is immoral?
A. I believe what is written in the Bible, which says that homosexuality is a sin
B. I was raised to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I know other people may feel differently
C. I have my own personal religious beliefs, but I know that other people have a right to live as they please, and I shouldn’t judge them based on my own beliefs
3. Do you have any friends who identify as gay, lesbian, transgender, or bisexual?
A. I have a few acquaintances who are not heterosexual, but I haven’t really had the opportunity to develop friendships with non-heterosexual individuals
B. Yes, I have friends with all different lifestyles! I know sexuality is just one part of who someone is, and I appreciate different perspectives
C. I haven’t ever had a friendship with someone who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. I wouldn’t have much in common with them
4. Has anyone ever accused you of being homophobic?
A. No, I have friends of all different sexual orientations
B. I’ve been accused of this multiple times, but I feel like I have a right to feel that homosexuality is wrong
C. People have accused me of this a few times when we’re debating religion, but I try not to be defensive about it
5. How do you feel about seeing a same-sex couple showing affection toward each other in public?
A. To be honest, it’s something I prefer not to see
B. I wouldn’t even give it a second thought
C. It might strike me as odd since I’m heterosexual, but I wouldn’t make a big deal about it
6. How would you feel if a good friend you’ve known for years came out as gay or lesbian?
A. I’d probably end the friendship
B. I wouldn’t view them any differently
C. I’d probably be a bit shocked and need time to come to terms with it
7. How would you feel if someone of your same sex made a sexual advance toward you?
A. I’d be highly offended. I’m not gay or lesbian
B. I’d understand that these things happen. I might even be flattered
C. I would feel uncomfortable
8. If your best friend asked you to be a best man or maid of honor in their wedding, and they were marrying someone of the same sex, how would you react?
A. I would be so excited, and I’d accept the offer
B. I would decline
C. I would feel a little uncomfortable with the whole thing, but I’d still be there for my friend on their wedding day
9. How do you feel about gay couples adopting children?
A. This shouldn’t be permitted
B. They should have every right to adopt children and have the same opportunity to have children
C. I feel that children should be raised by a mother and father, but I understand that not everyone feels this way, and we’re probably moving toward a time when same-sex couples should be able to adopt
10. Do you think it’s okay to make jokes about same-sex couples?
A. There’s no harm in joking, as long as you aren’t being purposely offensive
B. I find myself making jokes about same-sex couples often with my friends
C. No, and I avoid making these jokes