Top 100 Inspirational Divorce Quotes to Help You Move on
Instead, you can embrace your decision and make use of this opportunity to do what you have always wanted. There will be ups and downs but what matters is that you are able to work your way through them without letting them get the best of you.
Listed down below are the 100 divorce quotes to motivate you and encourage you through the tough times.
Getting divorced quotes
Divorce can feel lonely. Yet, this is such a common experience. Hopefully, some of these quotes on divorce help you see others have gone through it and came out on the other side happy. Take some time to read life after divorce quotes to gain some hope and perspective.
- “Imagine spreading everything you care about on a blanket and then tossing the whole thing up in the air. The process of divorce is about loading that blanket, throwing it up, watching it all spin, and worrying what stuff will break when it lands.”—Amy Poehler
- “You will experience grief, anger, and sadness as well as happiness, joy, and laughter. Know that every person that has come into your life and every challenge that you have overcome has made you the person you are today.” –Cindy Holbrook
- If you aren’t comfortable with a decision, the chances are that it’s not the right one. If you can change it, do it!” – Rossana Condoleo
- “A man that is aware of your sadness and sleep doesn’t deserve your love at all.”
- “The way I perceive it, if you want the rainbow, you’ve got to put up with the rain.” – Dolly Parton
- “When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that is in itself a choice.” – William James
- “Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers.
- “You never have to suffer due to, or be denatured by, another person, even someone you love.” – Rossana Condoleo
- “When people divorce, it’s always such a tragedy. At the same time, if people stay together it can be even worse.”—Monica Bellucci
- “Perhaps sometimes reminding ourselves that we do have a choice makes it easier to pick the harder one.”— Eva Melusine Thieme
- “You never really know a man until you have divorced him.”—Zsa Zsa Gabor
- “I don’t think I’ll get married again. I’m not looking for it. What I can say about my divorce and my failed engagement is that I learned where my bar is.” – Jill Scott
Life after divorce quotes
Going through a divorce can suck, but being divorced doesn’t have to. Although there are ups and downs, you can choose what kind of changes you want to introduce to your life. Some happy to be divorced quotes offer something to hold onto when it gets rough.
- “Divorced is what you are, not who you are.” –Karen Covy
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we fail to look at the door which has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
- “Accept that you are MORE than you think you are…. Not less than what you think you should be.” – Stephanie Kathan
- “Don’t ruin a good today thinking about a bad tomorrow.”
- “It is never too late to become what you might have been.” – George Eliot
- “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Inner peace can only be reached when we practice forgiveness. Forgiveness is the letting go of the past, and is therefore the means of correcting our misperceptions.” – Gerald G. Jampolsky
- “When two people decide to get a divorce, it isn’t a sign that they ‘don’t understand’ one another, but a sign that they have, at least, begun to.”— Helen Rowland
- ‘It always gets worse before it can get better. But it will get better. Like everything else, and like our past struggles, at some point we win, but before that win, there’s always that loss that spurs us on.”— Dolores Huerta
- “Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.”— Toni Morrison
Positive quotes about divorce
Going through splitting up and learning how to be happy after divorce is a tasking job. Happy divorce quotes and sayings can help you move forward with life. Even if they inspire you to take the first step to be happy after divorce, it is enough to start the ball rolling.
- “There is no such thing as a “broken family.” Family is family and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart. The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family. And if you hate those ties, those people will still be your family because whatever you hate will always be with you.” — C. Joybell C.
- “Success is its own reward, but failure is a great teacher too, and not to be feared.”— Sonia Sotomayor
- “The good thing about getting divorced young—if there is a good thing—is that it makes you realize there’s no schedule in life. It blasts you wide open and frees you to be honest with yourself.”—Olivia Wilde
- “Recovery begins from the darkest moment.” – John Major
- “Nothing separates a woman or a family from God’s love. Not death, and certainly not divorce.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
- “Just because a relationship ends, it doesn’t mean it’s not worth having.” – Sarah Mlynowski
- “I think part of the reason why we hold on to something so tight is that we fear something so great won’t happen twice.”
- “Cry as much as you want to, but just make sure when you’re finished, you never cry for the same reason again.”
Hopeful divorce quotes
Going through a divorce can have you feeling scared, confused, angry, sad, and lonely. In those times you might need hope it is possible to be happy after divorce. Happy after divorce quotes can let you know that there is light at the end of the divorce tunnel.
- Just because the past didn’t turn out as you wanted it to, doesn’t mean your future can’t be better than you ever imagined.
- “There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope.” – Bernard Williams
- “The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- “If you can love the wrong person that much, imagine how much you can love the right one.”
- “Everything is going to be alright. Maybe not today but eventually.”
- “Even the darkest nights come to an end, and the Sun will rise.” Victor Hugo
- “I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done.”— Lucille Ball
- “Do not look for healing at the feet of those who broke you.”— Rupi Kaur
- “Don’t spend time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.”— Coco Chanel
- “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
- “It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
- “I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me.”—Erica Jong
- “When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be towards others.”— Eda LeShan
- “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.”— Lena Horne
- “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.”— Carrie Fisher
- “I used to hope that you’d bring me flowers. Now I plant my own.”— Rachel Wolchin
- “Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune.” – William James
- “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.” – William James
- “Don’t have regrets. You can learn something from every experience.”— Ellen Degeneres
Also watch: 7 Most Common Reasons for Divorce
Quotes on being happy after divorce
If you can’t imagine being joyful again and happy divorce is not in your vocabulary, check out these happy divorce quotes. They might help you envision a better future and even interest you in dating again. Happiness after divorce quotes can enlighten some ways on how to push through the challenges.
- “When we do something we like, we are not only happy. We are also very strong!” – Rossana Condoleo
- “When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” – Viktor Frankl
- “You cannot cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “You might not be able to control all the events that happen to you, but you can choose to not be reduced by them.” – Maya Angelou
- “Above all, be the hero of your own life and not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
- “When we truly care for our own selves, it becomes possible to care about other people. The more alert and sensitive we are to our own needs, the more loving and generous we can be towards others.” Eda LeShan
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.”— Deborah Reber
- “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.”— Carol Burnett
- “Throw us an obstacle and we grow stronger.” – Brad Henry
- “Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell
- “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.” – Shannon L Alder
Moving on after divorce quotes
Have you read some divorce sayings and felt like they spoke your truth so intimately it could have been you who wrote that? Whether we are talking about getting divorced quotes or quotes on being happy, great writers can help you feel less alone and more seen. Also, great divorce quotes can motivate you to think about how to move towards divorce recovery.
- “Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s future.”
- “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
- “Life’s not about how hard of a hit you can give..it’s about how many you can take, and still keep moving forward.”
- “If you carry joy in your heart, you can heal any moment.” Carlos Santana
- “There is no sense in punishing your future for the mistakes of your past. Forgive yourself, grow from it, and then let it go.” – Melanie Koulouris
- “One of the hardest lessons in life is letting go. Whether it’s guilt, anger, love, loss, or betrayal. Change is never easy. We fight to hold on and we fight to let go.” – Mareez Reyes
- “You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.”
- “At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.”
- “Letting go does not mean erasing memories. It simply means that you’re ready to make better ones. “
- “Anything you can’t control is teaching you how to let go.” – Jackson Kiddard
- “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go. Pain makes you stronger, tears make you braver and heartbreak makes you wiser, so thank the past for a better future.”
- “Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that some people only enter your life as a temporary happiness.”
- “It is better to end something and start another than to imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.”
- “When a relationship is over, leave. Don’t continue watering a dead flower.”
- “Moving on is a process; moving forward is a choice. There’s a slight difference between the two. Moving on is letting things happen; moving forward is making things happen.”
Divorce quotes to make you happy
The best divorce quotes can help you start your day on a more positive note and look at things a bit more confidently. Have you found divorce quotes that resonate with you and make you vibe? Consider printing those happy quotes so you can see them every day.
- “Divorce is not really a tragedy. A tragedy is deciding to stay in an unhappy marriage and teaching your kids the wrong things about love. Nobody ever died of divorce.” – Jennifer Weiner
- “Learn to be happy alone, so you know how to be happy with someone else.”
- “To move on, I have to be strong. To be strong, I have to be happy. To be happy, I have to love like I haven’t been hurt.”
- “You will know you made the right decision; you feel the stress leaving your body, your mind, and your life.” – Brigette Nicole
- “Being single and having peace of mind is much better than being in a relationship where you feel single and have no peace of mind.”
- “Never be afraid of starting over. It is a chance to rebuild your life the way you wanted all along.”
- “Holding on is basically believing there is only a past; letting go is knowing there is a future.” –Daphne Rose Kingma
- “All endings are also beginnings. We are just not aware of it at the time.” – Mitch Albom
- “Divorce isn’t such a tragedy. A tragedy’s staying in an unhappy marriage, teaching your children the wrong things about love. Nobody ever died of divorce.” ― Jennifer Weiner
- “Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Owning your own story and loving yourself through the process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” – Brené Brown
- “Tough times never last but tough people do.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
You are not alone. Everyone needs help dealing with divorce. Hopefully, some of the happily divorced quotes provide a new outlook on things and help you adopt a new mindset with a focus on the future.
- “A good marriage is about what you put into it, not what you get out of it. You can’t reap something that you have not sown.”
- “Spouses may divorce, but parents are parents forever.” – Karen Covy
- “Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria if you let it.” –J. K. Rowling.
- “When we deny our stories, They define us. When we own our stories, we get to write the ending.” – Brené Brown
- “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeve
- “I think of love and marriage in the same way I do plants: We have perennials and annuals. The perennial plant blooms, goes away, and comes back. The annual blooms for just a season, and then winter arrives and takes it out for good. But it’s still enriched the soil for the next flower to bloom. In the same way, no love is wasted.” – Glennon Doyle Melton
- “Divorce is expensive. I used to joke they were going to call it ‘all the money,’ but they changed it to ‘alimony.’ It’s ripping your heart out through your wallet.” – Robin Williams
- “Well, after the divorce, I went home and turned all the lights on!” – Larry David
- “Those who divorce aren’t necessarily the most unhappy, just those neatly able to believe their misery is caused by one other person.” – Alain de Botton
- “Divorce is a declaration of independence with only two signers.”- Gerald F. Lieberman
Reading inspiring and happy divorce quotes can really uplift your mood and make you feel better about yourself. Whenever you find yourself stuck or want to give up, just give these how to be happy quotes a read and get a boost of motivation that will drive you towards your goals.
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.