The success of a child in school highly depends on your support as a parent. It expresses your level of concern and your interest as well as act as a motivating tool to achieve higher grades. Helping your child to do the homework gives them direction and value for their studies. Although, you have to consider the fact that you are at different levels of understanding and you might have studied under different curriculum. The following tips will guide you in helping your child handle his or her homework
Teach the concept from their teacher’s point of view
Despite the benefits of helping your child with homework, you have to use the method used by the teacher to avoid confusion. Do this in line with examples they had done before to give you an idea of the methodology. In fact, let the child try it out for a clue so as to build on what they know rather than introduce a new concept.
Create time for study after school
Instill the practice of doing homework by scheduling specific time for study. It gives you an opportunity to plan your meal times and further give full attention to your child with minimal distractions.
Use both theoretical and practical skills to explain an idea
It is never about schoolwork alone. Some of the concepts can be taught using real life examples even at home for a practical overview of the content. For example, parts of a fruit, why not engage your child while making a fruit salad? You can label the parts of the real fruit.
Create a friendly home environment
Studying is fun in the most appropriate environment. A study room provides psychological support to instill learning culture in a child. Even the young ones grow with a notion of a study area and follow rules that govern the room to the latter.
Invest in a book shelf, a comfortable chair, and a table with stationary storage tools to make it clean and tidy.
Appreciate their effort to motivate them
Homework can be challenging, that is why your help comes in handy. Appreciate every little effort they make and encourage the effort. Use a parental tone; you know the capability of your child as well as the level of understanding, take note of that to ensure the child masters the content. Allow her to ask questions, however “stupid” you think they may be.
Seek help in areas you find difficult
It is not obvious that you will not know everything in the curriculum, instead of confusing the child and instilling the wrong information in the child’s mind; kindly seek clarification just to be sure. With advanced technology, it has become possible to find homework help sites like Transtutors, assignmenthelp, assignmentmaster that provide instant assistance to students of all levels. If not, use your smartphones to get information from the search engines; moreover, there are numerous online tuition services to assist.
Regularly communicate with respective teachers
Be as close as possible to the teacher. Follow your child’s progress and let it be a collective responsibility for both you and the teacher to help the child in his or her school progress. The moment the child notices that people are concerned with their school work they make an effort and become more responsible.
Set a good example through your actions
Languages, for example, require constant reading. How will you instill this in your child when you take little interest even in reading a newspaper or a magazine? How do you plan your daily routines? You must practice what you preach. Invest time in reading if you want your child to read. Have a planned working schedule to guide you such that your child can also copy to manage his time appropriately.
Explain and let the child complete the assignments on their own
The sympathetic nature of a parent tempts you to literally do the assignments for your child- you are doing more harm than good to your own child. Clarify areas where they seem to have difficulties and allow them to work on their own as you monitor and guide them towards the right direction.
Teachers handle 75 percent of the curriculum while parents complete the remaining 25 percent. Helping your child with his or her homework gives you a good chance to have a first-hand experience on your child’s academic progress. Great care is advisable to motivate your child to achieve the best according to his or her ability.
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.