Narcissism is a mental disorder in which a person's personality is shaped inwardly. This means that the person is so consumed by themselves that they try to attune everything to their needs. A psychiatrist can only diagnose this personality disorder. But if you are with a parent who seems to display narcissistic traits, you must inform other adults to get them treated.Narcissistic people have low self-esteem and try to hide behind a stern exterior. They might seem threatening or may even hurt you if their self-esteem is under threat, but you have to be strong and not let them hurt you in any way. And if you feel their love or care towards you is unhealthy and suffocating, you have to involve others. You can also take this narcissistic parent quiz and try to read your parent's behaviors the next time they are unfair to you.
1. Do you feel your parents are confining you at home even when they do not need to?
A. Yes, this happens a lot
B. No, they do not confine me, but there are rules
2. Has your parents ever been violent with you?
A. Yes, but not anymore
B. No, they have never been violent
C. Yes, they still are
3. Does your parent(s) support you in times of need?
A. No, I am on my own
B. Yes, they do
4. Are any of your parents addicted to some substance?
A. Yes, and they are really bad at hiding
B. Yes, but they are trying hard to quit
C. I do not know
5. Do they blackmail you sometimes to get things done according to their wishes?
A. No, they do not
B. Yes, sometimes
C. Yes, all the time
6. Has any of your parents talked about grandiosity such as being wealthy, or owning a big property?
A. Yes, but quite rarely
B. Yes, they are obsessed
C. Not really
7. Do they appear extremely stubborn and lack empathy for certain situations in your life?
A. No, but they can be firm at times
B. Yes, they do
8. Do they hate listening to you talk about freedom, independence and self-sufficiency?
A. Yes, they quickly change the topic
B. Yes, but I think they mean well
C. No, they encourage me to be independent
9. Do they react very aggressively when you blame them for something or point out a small mistake they may have made?
A. Yes, they get extremely defensive
B. Yes, but they try to change
C. No, but it gets tense when I say something like that
10. Do you think you may have low self-esteem or feel unusually depressed these days?
A. I, sort of, do
B. I think that is true