Everyone has their own pace with dating. Sometimes that has to do with past experiences, personalities, or desires. And sometimes, it’s just personal preference regarding how fast or slow a person is comfortable moving into a relationship. You can’t control what those guidelines might look like for someone else, but you do have complete control over what your comfort zone is, and you must stay true to that. It doesn’t mean one person is right or wrong, but there is such a thing as moving TOO fast. If you are concerned, take this short quiz to find out if he is rushing into things.
1. Did he start talking about a future together/marriage/kids way before you were comfortable discussing any of that?
A. Yes, definitely
B. No, we haven’t talked about that
C. A little bit, but when he saw my reaction, he didn’t bring it up again
2. Did he say “I love you” way too soon?
A. No, we haven’t said that yet
B. He has hinted at it, but I haven’t been receptive to it. It’s too soon
3. Does he make you feel suffocated at times?
A. I definitely need some alone time more than he does
B. Yes, it’s overwhelming sometimes how he always wants to be with me
C. No, we both enjoy each others company, but I just hope it’s not too much
4. Did he start opening up to you about personal things in his life before you were ready to get that deep?
A. No, nothing too deep
B. He is just more open than I am, I guess, but he has definitely shared more
C. Yes, almost right away
5. Does he seem to overreact when you get into arguments and act like it is the end of the world instead of just a disagreement?
A. Yes, he’s way too sensitive sometimes
B. No, we don’t really fight though
6. Do you feel like he has stopped hanging out with his friends as much or his family and is spending any free time he has to hang out with you?
A. No, there’s a healthy balance I think
B. Yes, he rarely goes anywhere else other than work
7. Has he mentioned meeting each other's families?
A. Yes, but I told him I am not ready for all that yet
B. No, I don’t think either of us is ready for that yet
C. We talked about it as in a future sense, not right now
8. Do you feel like he is just always doing what you want to do instead of sticking to the things he would rather?
A. No, not really
C. Yes, it is like he doesn’t even care about the things he used to like to do or watch. It was cute at first, but I think it’s a little too much
9. Do you think he acts like you have been together longer than you have, or you know each other better than you feel like you do?
B. No, I think we are both getting to know each other still
C. Yes, he acts like we have been together for years sometimes. He doesn’t even really know me that well
10. Deep down, do you feel like he is moving too fast?
A. Yes, I kind of do
B. Sometimes I do, but then I think maybe we just have different perceptions of what the pace should be
C. Sometimes I do, but I think it is just in my head because I am nervous about being in another serious relationship and risking getting hurt again