Are you ever accused of being afraid of commitment or intimacy? Do you have a hard time or feel highly uncomfortable sharing your feelings with others? Have you been unable to sustain emotional bonds in your relationships? Do you often ask yourself,” Am I emotionally unavailable?”rnAlthough you may have answered yes to some or all of these questions, it is much more difficult to tell if you are actually emotionally unavailable and even harder to come to terms with this if you indeed are. Being emotionally unavailable usually stems from harrowing and vulnerable experiences that are not comfortable for you to work through or even think about. Still, it may be necessary if you hope to overcome it. To find out if you are unable to truly emotionally connect with others, take this quiz today!
1. Are you a person who wears your heart on your sleeve or keeps your emotions bottled up inside?
A. I definitely keep my emotions bottled up because I don’t like expressing my feelings and emotions to others
B. I am careful with who I share my emotions with, but I wouldn’t say I keep them bottled up
C. I usually keep them bottled up because I don’t trust people to share those intimate thoughts and feelings with them
D. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve more
2. How would you say your self-esteem is?
A. I am very hard on myself. It is probably on the lower side
B. I think I have pretty good self-esteem most of the time, but not always
C. I struggle with my self-esteem; it is definitely low
D. I think I have pretty good self-esteem
3. What is something you would most likely do when searching for a potential partner?
A. Find someone who is already in a relationship or unavailable
B. Have a hard time finding someone because I am very picky and critical
C. Find someone who I know I can’t trust from the start, but then date them anyway
D. Go on a few dates until I meet someone worth going out with again
4. Do you tend to be the type of person to look for the good or bad in other people more often?
A. I tend to always find flaws in people
B. I try to look for the good, but sometimes I could be picky
C. I tend to always find reasons not to trust people, even if they gave me no reason to feel that way
D. I tend to look for the good in people, maybe to a fault
5. What type of person are you drawn to most of the time?
A. I usually go after the people I can’t have
B. I usually go after someone that has exactly what I am looking for
C. I usually go after someone who I can’t trust
D. I usually go after whoever I feel a genuine connection with and am naturally drawn to
6. How would you prefer to communicate with a potential partner?
A. Through text
B. On the phone
C. Social media
7. How do you react when people push you to open up and be vulnerable with your emotions?
A. Usually, I shut down and get very uncomfortable
B. I will open up more if I feel comfortable doing it
C. I get anxious because I don’t trust them enough
D. I will try to be more mindful of that and more open, so I don’t push them away
8. What situation would you rather have?
A. Have a crush on someone you can’t have or who is unavailable
B. Spend a lot of time getting to know someone before opening-up
C. Someone who I have almost constant contact with right from the beginning
D. Dating different people until I find someone who sparks my interest
9. Have you been accused of not picking up on other people’s emotions or not knowing how to react when someone is opening up emotionally to you?
A. Yes, frequently
D. No, never
10. Do you get uncomfortable when someone you are dating tries to engage in a deeper conversation about your feelings and emotions?
A. Yes, every time
B. Sometimes, but not always