It is a very common fear when you are pregnant, or even before you become pregnant, to wonder if you are going to be a good mom. Will you know what to do? Will you know what to say? Will you be able to protect your child in this crazy world? You are not alone, but that doesn’t help calm any of the fears or worries you might be experiencing right now.
Some parents are a little overprotective, some parents give their children too much freedom, but you want to be somewhere right in the middle where your child feels loved, comforted, and safe to be independent and confident. If you are experiencing these fears and are wondering, ‘Will I Be a Good Mom?”, take this short Will I Be a Good Mom Quiz and find out.
1. Would you consider yourself a leader?
B. Not really
2. Are you prepared to do all the dirty work that comes with being a mom?
A. I have a bit of a weak stomach, but I will do my best (or make my partner do it!)
B. I think so
C. Yes, bring it on!
3. Does your home have a safety alarm?
A. Yes, I have fire alarm, burglary alarm, and intrusion detection alarm
4. Do you have extra room in your house?
A. Yes, an extra special room for the child
B. Planning to build one. It’s just on paper
5. How would you handle a crying baby?
A. Cuddle them and calm them down as long as they cry
B. Leave the room for a while
C. Put the pacifier on
6. Imagine the scenario- Baby wakes up every 2 hours at night. What’s your take?
A. I’ll check what’s troubling the baby. Is it the bedsheet? Is it the fan? I’ll fix it.
B. It’s okay. Normally babies wake up every 2 hours
7. How would you respond to your kid asking “Where do babies come from?”
A. I’ll say no one knows
B. I’ll say they come from hospital
C. I’ll say they are dropped from heaven
8. How much supervision do you believe your child will need?
A. Constant supervision 24/7
B. I plan to give them as much freedom as they want
C. I plan to supervise my child some of the time, but also give them freedom so I can redirect any mistakes and help them learn from it
9. What do you imagine being a mom will feel like?
A. Being a nervous wreck all the time
B. Easy and fun
10. When in a difficult situation or during a crisis, how do you tend to react?
A. I usually react before I listen
B. I usually try not to react
C. I usually listen before I react
11. Do you have firm boundaries?
A. Yes, I would consider myself somewhat of a stickler
B. No, people tend to walk all over me
C. I don’t allow people to push me around
12. Do you have a lot of friends?
A. Not really
13. How would your friends describe you?
A. A little judgmental but consistent
B. Fun and up for anything
C. Open-minded and supportive
14. Do you feel like you have a good level of empathy for your friend, family, and others?
A. Sometimes. It’s hard for me to understand why people do some of the things they do if they are doing something wrong, even when I try to put myself in their shoes.
B. Yes, I accept people for who they are
C. Yes, I try to understand where other people are coming from so I can understand the root of the problem in order to help them solve it
15. Are you prepared to shift your priorities from yourself to your child 100%?
A. Yes, definitely
B. I am nervous about it, but I am going to try
C. I think so