Communication is one of the things that can make or break a relationship. Lack of communication is the source of most problems between couples and there can be negative consequences as soon as you stop sharing your ideas and opinions.
On the other hand, couples that communicate effectively are less involved in conflicts. And when they do have an argument, they use it as an opportunity to grow and find out something new about each other by sharing their feelings.
Does your relationship need to alter its communication style? Take ‘this ‘How is your communication with your partner’ quiz to find out!
1. How do you resolve an argument?
A. We carefully listen to each other until we understand our needs
B. We get over it without too much fuss and caress each other
C. We simply ignore it and pretend it didn't happen
D. There's hardly any resolution as we fight until the bitter end
2. Do you often say things you regret later during arguments?
A. Never, we take care about what comes out of our mouths
B. Rarely, and we get over it
C. Sometimes, but we ignore these comments later
D. Unfortunately, yes, we do it often
3. Can you validate each other when you disagree?
A. Yes, we have absolutely no problem about that
B. Yes, most times
C. Sometimes, but we usually ignore each other's opinion
D. No, we always fight to impose our opinion on each other
4. Do you work to find a mutually satisfying resolution when an argument is over?
A. Yes, most times
B. Yes, although it's a compromise and we're not really happy about it
C. No, we just forget about it until our next fight
D. No, it's always me versus them
5. Do you feel overwhelmed during arguments?
A. No, because we're always calm and rational
B. No, because we are relaxed all the time
C. Sometimes, but it's not that serious
D. Yes, often
6. How fast do you re-establish connection after an argument?
A. We never lose connection even if we have a conflict
B. Quite fast
C. In a few hours
D. It takes days or weeks
7. Do you keep in touch during the day?
A. Yes, all the time
B. Yes, two or three times a day
C. Maybe once at most
D. We rarely do that
8. Is sweeping issues under the rug a habit in your relationship?
A. No, because we talk about every issue while it's hot
B. Sometimes, but we deal with those things when they start to pile up
C. Unfortunately, yes
D. Fighting is a bigger problem than sweeping issues under the rug
9. Do you often hurt each other’s feelings?
A. No, we take care to be gentle even when we disagree
B. It rarely happens
C. Not really, because we tend to ignore each other
D. Unfortunately yes
10. Do you ever bring up past issues in your current arguments?
A. Never because we know it's a bad strategy
C. We don't even bother to do that anymore
11. Can you share your deepest fear with your partner?
A. Yes, of course
B. Yes, sometimes
C. In rare moments
D. No, not really
12. Do you feel comfortable talking to your partner about anything about their behavior that bothers you?
A. Yes, totally
C. Kind of
D. No, they get defensive
13. Do you think that your communication has improved over time?
A. Yes, for sure
B. Maybe it has
C. I’m not sure
D. I think it has become worse over time
14. Do you feel that you don’t always understand your partner very well?
A. No, I get them completely
B. I’m working on this
C. I’m not sure
D. Yes, I think so
15. Do you feel the need to mentally prepare yourself before talking to your partner?
A. No, I can talk to them in every state
B. I don’t think so
C. Kind of
D. For sure