Although typically associated with women and pregnancy, postpartum depression can also affect fathers-to-be or new dads. New parents can experience anxiety and feel overwhelmed once the new bundle has arrived. Unlike women, men can experience physical symptoms (headaches, stomachaches, etc.) that manifest as postpartum symptoms. If you want to see if you may have male postpartum depression, take our quiz “Do I have male postpartum depression” and find out.
1. Do you enjoy the things you once did?
2. Do you have sleep problems?
B. I am not sleeping as well as I used to
3. Do you have difficulty concentrating?
4. Do you get anxious easily?
5. Do you feel like you are living your life in slow motion?
6. Do you feel guilty but are unsure why?
A. Yes, I feel constantly guilty
B. No, I have no feelings of guilt
C. Occasionally, I do feel guilty
7. Do you enjoy spending time with friends and family?
A. Yes, I see them as often as I can
B. No, I don’t feel like being around loved ones
C. I will spend time with them periodically
8. Do you have a hard time getting motivated?
A. I am very lethargic
B. I am very motivated to get things done
C. My motivation varies
9. Do you have scary thoughts about hurting yourself or your child?
A. I have thought about them
B. I have not had those thoughts
C. I have them sometimes, but they are dismissed easily
10. Yes, I have a lot of hope for the future
A. Yes, I have a lot of hope for the future
B. No, I focus purely on the present
C. I make a few future plans
11. Do you feel like you are bonding with your baby?
A. Unfortunately, I am not bonding well with my child
B. Yes, I feel very close to my baby
C. I feel close, but at times, I don’t feel connected
12. Are you excited about your new family?
A. No, I just want to be alone
B. From time to time, I am excited
C. Yes, I can’t wait to see what happens in the future
13. Do you enjoy spending time with your baby?
A. Yes, I enjoy being around my new child
B. No, I have minimal interest
C. I have to step away and take breaks
14. Do you feel down and hopeless and have little interest in things?
A. Extremely down and hopeless
B. I feel happy and have an interest in things
15. Do you have the energy to complete household tasks?
A. Half of the time
B. Not really
C. Yes, I have a lot of energy