People seek marriage advice to better understand what being married entails, avoid challenges and get through challenges when they arise. Lengthy advice is fine and certainly helpful but marriage advice quotes really seem to resonate with people.
They are short, direct and allow you to create your own conclusions based on your situation. Better yet, they are so positive.
Many of the top quotes about marriage advice are hidden in literature or have been stated by famous figures we know and love (experience often results in wisdom). Let’s take a look at 100+ best marriage advice quotes that touch on the dynamic between spouses, give and take, maintaining the spark, communication, understanding and more.
You need to work hard to keep your marriage a happy one. Marriage is something to cherish and is something to hold on to. It is also an adventure filled with new and exciting experiences.
Here are some of the best marriage advice quotes because each one will give you a better idea of what being married really means.
Husband and wife quotes
Finding quotes about happy married life to write into a card for a present or for an anniversary can be as impactful as the right gift. These quotes are short, direct and remind of the importance of togetherness.
- No relationship is all sunshine. But when it rains husband and wife can share an umbrella and survive the storm together.
- A happy marriage is about three things: memories of togetherness, the forgiveness of mistakes and a promise to never give up on each other. – Surabi Surendra
- If patience is not your best virtue, it’s time you build a steady reservoir of one. As a married man, you will need tons of it when your wife tags you along on her shopping sprees.
- Husband and wife relationships are like the relationship between Tom and Jerry. Though they are teasing and fighting, they can’t live without each other.
- Husband and wife may disagree on many things, but they must absolutely agree on one: never give up on each other.
- A strong marriage never has two strong people at the same time. It has a husband and a wife taking turns in being strong for each other in the moments when the other one feels weak.
Inspirational marriage quotes
Inspirational marriage advice quotes are appropriate for newlyweds or troublesome marriages. These couple advice quotes motivate and touch hearts.
- A strong marriage requires two people who choose to love each other even on those days when they struggle to like each other. – Dave Willis
- True happiness isn’t doing everything together. It is knowing you are together no matter what you do.
- Laughter is the best medicine. Choose the person that will be your “doctor” for life.
- Best marriages are the ones in which partners grow together to become the best versions of themselves.
- Marriage gives you both roots and wings.
- Being married means treating your spouse like yourself as they are a part of you that lives outside of you.
- True love stands by each other’s side on good days and stands closer on bad days.
- To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the loving cup, whenever you are wrong to admit it, and whenever you’re right shut up. – Ogden Nash
Marriage and perfection quotes
Embarking on the adventure called marriage means going on a trip that will have ups and downs. Wedding advice quotes are a good accessory to pack with you when preparing for this journey.
- A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other. – Kate Stewart
- Marriage is about finding someone who knows you are not perfect, but treats you as if you are.
- A great marriage is about two things: appreciating the similarities and respecting the differences.
- Marriage is not a bed of roses, but you can prayerfully remove the thorns so you can enjoy the roses. – Esho Kemi
- When you find a person perfect for you, their flaws don’t feel like flaws.
- Marriage is like a walk in the park when you have a person whose imperfections you find endearing.
- A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences. – Dave Meurer
Happy marriage quotes
What marriage quote describes your marriage the best? Surprise your spouse today and share it, and make sure to ask for their favorite one too.
- A happy marriage is a union of two forgivers. – Ruth Bell Graham
- Happy marriages are like fingerprints, there are no two alike. Each one is different and beautiful.
- A great marriage is a contest of generosity. – Diane Sawyer
- Happiness in a marriage is the sum of small efforts focused on appreciation, repeated every day.
- Trying to copy someone’s marital happiness is wrong. It is like copying someone’s answers on the test, without realizing that the questions are different.
- Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story. – Jennifer Smith
Related Reading: Powerful Lessons for a Happy Marriage
Some marriage quotes are timeless and appropriate for any occasion. Find your favorite one.
- Never marry the one you can live with, marry the one you cannot live without.
- The best apology is, changed behavior.
- One advantage of marriage is that, when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall in again. – Judith Viorst
- A marriage is cumulative of many fond memories built over a period of time.
- A true testament to how long a marriage will last is the ability to which partners can remain themselves without judgment.
- In a great marriage, the wedding day is just the first day of the celebration.
- To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to be loved by the person you love is everything.
- Treat your relationship like a company. If no one shows up for work, the company goes out of business.
- The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest. The first to forget is the happiest.
- Being in a long marriage is a little bit like that nice cup of coffee every morning – I might have it every day, but I still enjoy it. – Stephen Gaines
- The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret. – Henny Youngman
Quotes on marriage and challenges
Same as smooth seas don’t make a skilled sailor, challenges prove strengths of a marriage. Best marriage advice quotes caution against thinking marriage will be a smooth voyage and remind it is worth the travel anyways.
- There is no greater risk than matrimony, but no greater happiness than a happy marriage. – Benjamin Disraeli
- Marriage is not a bed of roses but it has its beautiful roses, neither is it a walk in the park, but you can have a memorable walk. – Kemi Esho
- Marriage means finding the strength to be there for your partner when they can’t be there for themselves.
- Marriage is not a noun, it is a verb; It isn’t something you get, it is something you do.
- If we want the marriage to work like a well-oiled engine we need to keep fixing what doesn’t work.
- The greatest marriage is built on teamwork, mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration and a never-ending portion of love and grace. – Fawn Weaver
- Marriage doesn’t make you happy, you make your marriage happy.
Related Reading: Major Marriage Challenges and How to Overcome Them
Marriage and intimacy quotes
Good marriage advice quotes caution that intimacy is not the absence of separateness, but rather the emotional closeness that happens despite it. Share these quotes with your spouse when you want to start deep and meaningful conversations.
- A good marriage requires falling in love many times with the same person. – Mignon McLaughlin
- There is no such cozy combination as man and wife. – Menander
- Laughter is the closest distance between two people. – Victor Borge
- Love is not a weakness. It is strong. Only the sacrament of marriage can contain it. – Boris Pasternak
- There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage. – Martin Luther
- I think long-lasting, healthy relationships are more important than the idea of marriage. At the root of every successful marriage is a strong partnership. – Carson Daly
- Marriage is the most natural state of man and the state in which you will find solid happiness. – Benjamin Frank
- Marriage is not about age; it’s about finding the right person. – Sophia Bush
- The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don’t find very often, then that is what love is all about. – Bruce Forsyth
- A long marriage is two people trying to dance a duet and two solos at the same time. Anne Taylor Fleming
Marriage and fighting quotes
When life gets rough and partners end up fighting each other, quotes on saving your marriage can offer fresh perspectives. Morning always sheds light on the matter differently, but with great marital advice quotes, you don’t have to wait until dawn for a new outlook on things.
- When marriage is difficult, remember the person you are fighting for, not fighting with.
- More marriages might survive if partners realize the better comes after the worst. – Doug Larson
- The goal in marriage is not to think alike, but to think together. Robert C. Dodds
- Laughter is a bridge that connects two hearts after a fight.
- The first duty of love is to listen. – Paul Tillich
- Don’t fight with each other, fight for each other.
Quotes on marriage and changes in life
Every marriage is, in fact, many marriages. Advice for newlyweds quotes reminds the spouses to allow the change and grow together.
- Marriage is like watching the color of the leaves in the fall; ever-changing and more stunningly beautiful with each passing day. – Fawn Weaver
- A great marriage starts with a question “what changes do I need to make.”
- Success in marriage does not come through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate.
- A happy couple never has the same character. They have the best understanding of their differences.
- The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus.
Funny marriage quotes
When you are looking to bring some joy and laughter into your partner’s day, feel free to use one of the funny marriage quotes.
By all means, marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher. – Socrates
- Never question your spouse’s choices, they did, after all, choose you.
- Marriage has no guarantees. If that is what you want, go buy a car battery. – Erma Bombeck
- Four most important words in a marriage: “I will do the dishes”.
- Marry someone who gives you the same feeling you have when you see your food coming in a restaurant.
- Marriage lets you annoy one special person for the rest of your life.
- When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife. – Prince Philip
- Wives are not that difficult. If you made a mistake, tell her you are sorry, if she made a mistake tell her you are sorry.
- An archeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her. – Agatha Christie
- A relationship without trust is like a car without gas. You can stay in it but it won’t go anywhere.
- An affection every day keeps the affair away.
- My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me. – Winston Churchill
- Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing? She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays. – Henry Youngman
Related Reading: Best Funny Marriage Advice: Finding Humor in Commitment
Marriage and love quotes
These lovely marriage quotes are sure to put a smile on your partner’s face. Marriage tips quotes emphasize that only through togetherness, love, and understanding a couple can conquer all challenges that lie ahead.
- Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry. – Tom Mullen
- A great marriage doesn’t happen because of the love you had in the beginning, but how well you continue building love until the end.
- People stay married because they want to, not because the doors are locked.
- Marriage is like the house you live in. It always needs work and care to be nice to reside in.
- Real love is when you are being committed to someone even when they are being completely unlovable.
- Love doesn’t consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. Saint-Exupery
- Love is not what makes the world go round, it is what makes the ride worthwhile. Franklin P.Jones
Good marriage advice quotes
Although you have to put in the effort, saving your marriage quotes gives you some clue as to where to start. The first steps in making it work are the hardest, and these quotes can bring hope and inspiration.
- A great marriage consists of keeping promises made to each other when it matters most – when they are put to test.
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. – Friedrich Nietzsche
- A good marriage is each for the other, and together against the world.
- A happy marriage is a conversation that always seems too short. – Andre Maurois
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage. – Lao Tzu
- Great marriages are contagious. If you want one, surround yourself with couples who have one.
- If you want a great marriage, treat it like you are the CEO of it.
- A good marriage is one that allows for change and growth in individuals and in the way they express their love. – Pearl S. Buck
- If you want to have a great marriage, don’t ever stop dating your wife and don’t ever stop flirting with your husband.
Related Reading: Signs of a Good Marriage
Quotes on marriage and hard work
If you are looking for quotes on how to make a marriage work, look no more. These quotes remind of simple truths that seem to work.
- Work on your relationship until your partner’s name becomes a synonym for safety, happiness, and joy.
- If you don’t want to be surprised by what your partner shares with others, take the same interest others do in them.
- Couples who make it aren’t the ones who never had a reason to divorce. They are the ones who decide their commitment is more important than their differences and flaws.
- Happily ever after is not a fairy tale, it is a choice.
- If you put your marriage on the back burner, it can only stay lit for so long.
- The difference between an ordinary marriage and an extraordinary marriage is in giving just a little extra every day, as often as possible, for as long as we both shall live. – Fawn Weaver
- The grass isn’t greener on the other side, it is greener where you water it.
- Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made like bread, remade all the time, made new. – Ursula K.Le. Guin
- Stop saying marriage is just a piece of paper. So is money but you go to work for it every day.
Marriage and friendship quotes
There is no greater happiness than having your best friend for your partner. Good advice quotes invite us to consider how friendship is the foundation of a happy married life.
- Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife. – Franz Schubert
- Marriage can only succeed when it floats through life on friendship as friend-ship is the only boat that can’t sink.
- Experts on romance say for a happy marriage, there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition of friendship. – Marilyn Monroe
- Marriage without friendship is like birds without wings.
- Marriage, ultimately, is the practice of becoming passionate friends. – Harville Hendrix
- The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership. – Helen Mirren
Quotes for a long-lasting happy marriage
Getting married? Walking the altar with your significant other is the biggest threshold that you cross in your life.
A marriage is a mixed bag – good, bad, and funny. A marriage is a roller coaster ride replete with peaks and valleys and the secret to a successful marriage remains a secret. A lot goes into what goes into the making of a long-lasting happy marriage. Here’s a collection marriage quotes, that will serve as a lovely reminder to you and spouse about what it means to stick together highs and lows of life.
Marriage cannot thrive on the leftover attention. It has to get the best effort!
A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short
Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate.
A happy marriage doesn’t mean you have a perfect spouse or a perfect marriage. It simply means you’ve chosen to look beyond the imperfections in both.
The greatest marriages are built on teamwork, a mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace.
I choose you. And I’ll continue choosing you over and over again, in a heartbeat. I’ll always choose you.
Your marriage will not be defined by the size of your struggles, but by the size of your commitment towards your struggles.
Marriage is not a revolving door. You’re either in or out.
Marry someone who laughs at the same things you do.
Make your marriage your own. Don’t look at other marriages and wish you had something else. Work to shape your marriage so that it is satisfying for both of you.
Find inspiration in these best marriage quotes, express your love to your significant other and reinstate passion in your relationship. These top 10 inspirational marriage quotes should get you started if you wish to profess your profound love for your partner and make them smile and gush with excitement.
Click here for marriage quotes.