Computers and electronics are no longer the exclusive realms of nerds. These days, everyone uses them, including the hip, trendy, and especially, the rich and powerful.
It follows that people online are no longer the congregation of geeky ones that populated the early iterations of the information superhighway. Not that there’s anything wrong with nerds and geeks, it’s just that a majority of the population prefers to date other stereotypes.
What are the best dating apps?
Safe dating apps help you meet your potential friends and you may even end up making some new friends. In a way, they help you connect to some awesome people. These apps are designed to match people based on their interests and personality.
Each dating app has its own set of strengths and features and what one might click with is quite subjective.
The best dating apps available right now
Now that every kind of person is online, online dating apps are more diverse and exciting. Here is a list of dating apps, free dating sites and apps in no particular order.
We can’t create a list of the best dating apps without mentioning Tinder. If Mcdonalds is the big brand for fast food, then Tinder is the same for dating apps.
Free version: It is free, but not totally. Paying premium plans allows you to access more features.
- Catering to the young and wild crowd, its intuitive and responsive build turned Tinder into the standard that all dating apps are compared to.
- Tinder also has a high number of users which means a lot for a dating app.
- If you are looking for quality relationships, then it can become overwhelming, unless you’re the type that wants to test drive all options before buying.
- Requires premium access for extra features.
Download Tinder: Android, iOS
If you are looking for the best dating apps for women, then check out Bumble.
Unlike Tinder that implies just hook-ups with strangers, the Bumble system actually forces you to make a connection with people you connect to.
Free version: Free option available and there are also paid options like Bumble Boost, Bumble Premium, SuperSwipe, and Spotlight.
- Automatically cleans up your network if you neglect to interact with people
- Like Tinder, it is also basically free with possible paid upgrades
- Bumble has the disadvantage of allowing only women to reach out and make a connection. It is designed that way to prevent women from receiving spam from men playing the numbers game.
- It alienates two huge chunks of the population. The first is suave and aggressive men and shy women. This may not be everyone, but that is a lot of people.
Download Bumble: Android, iOS
This is potentially one of the best dating apps for women.
Concentrating heavily on quality over quantity of the connection (if you want it the other way around, there’s always Tinder.)
It does that by showing men (the coffee) a limited number of girls, daily, based on their preferences. They can then like or pass on those profiles. The women, (bagels) that were liked by the coffee, would then receive profiles of men who liked them and make the same decision.
Free version: It is free. You can buy coffee beans which is an in-app currency for more features.
- If a coffee and bagel user likes each other, they are then given a 7-day chat window to get to know each other.
- The system also lets the matched coffee and bagel users know what they have in common to start the conversation.
- Confusing interface
- Limited number of matches per day
Download Coffee Meets Bagel: Android, iOS
We have already listed the best dating apps for relationships with a high number of users, a great user interface, and a unique way of finding quality partners online. OkCupid is the best dating app with the most flexible search and match engine.
Let’s face it, one of the fun things in using a dating app is searching through profiles and hoping that the people we like would like us back. The chances of that happening are dependent on our compatibility, preferences, and how you actually look on the photo (If you’re ugly, tough luck, online or not, life sucks). -but don’t worry there are always filters, angles, and photoshop.
Free version: The basic functions are free and there are paid upgrades namely OkCupid Basic and OkCupid Premium.
- OkCupid is one of the best online dating apps because of the amount of matchable information available when searching.
- It filters out a lot of potential matches that won’t likely be interested in us anyway.
- Signing up is difficult because of the amount of information you need to fill.
- Possibility of catfishing
Download OkCupid: Android, iOS
If you can get in, it’s awesome, because it’s the only dating app out there that can guarantee every profile is real.
But good luck getting in.
Free version: Free Trial membership only
- Wide age range
- Good ratings
- High price
- Not available in all locations
Download The League: Android, iOS
If the league is too much of a hassle for you just for a guarantee of real profiles, then Now is the other dating that you should look at.
However, if you value your privacy, then this app is not for you. Now let other users know your location, and if you are available for a hook-up.
Free version: Yes
- Now it is marketing itself as a dating app for busy professionals. You can set short windows of opportunity when and where you are available to date.
- People who have the same settings become available to you and vice versa. In that sense, it’s more of a blind date right now app than anything else.
- The problem with this app is it’s currently available on iOS. (Probably because Android users are smart enough to turn on their privacy settings)
- Not very versatile as other trending dating apps
Download Now: iOS
It’s set to launch this 2019, given that it’s most likely just an extension feature of Facebook itself, it should come full of features with lots of users off the bat.
Facebook has been making itself clear for years that it’s not a dating app, and has set up features to prevent itself from being one. In an ironic turn of events that Facebook management is known for, it now announces a separate app release by allowing FB users to create a “dating profile.”
Free version: Free to use but only available at selected locations.
- Perfect casual dating site for short-term romance
- Your FB friends won’t come as suggestions for your Facebook Dating app
- Available at selected locations
- Limited number of requests you can send per day
Download Facebook Dating: Only available at selected locations
This app provides singles free spaces to write about themselves with an option of maximum 26 photos to be included. The communication between the matches happens anonymously.
Free version: 7-day free trial period
- Voice and video snippets can be included
- Has real-life dating coaches
- Restrictions during the Trial period
- May have fake profiles and messages
Download Match.com: Android, iOS
Grindr is for gay, bi, trans, and queer people where you can simply chat with people or have new guests per night. It is a location-based social networking app.
Free version: Available and there are upgrades like Grindr XTRA and Grindr Unlimited)
- It is the largest LGBTQA+ app
- It lets users make couple profiles
- Research points out that Grindr makes gays feel bad about their body weight.
- Not very friendly users at it all boils down to sex
Download Grindr: Android, iOS
Hinge is a unique app that lets you match with people you have mutual friends with on Facebook. This saves you from meeting people online who are complete strangers. It also has a quiz before you swipe. This will allow you to meet people with similar interests and results.
Free version: Available with the paid upgrade for becoming a Preferred Member.
- App provides in-depth information about the profiles/ matches
- Pause feature that lets you hide your profile
- Unmatching is a permanent option
- Can match only 10 profiles in the free version
Download Hinge: Android, iOS
Which dating app works best for you?
The best online dating apps are based upon how much you are willing to expose yourself out there for everyone to see while protecting yourself. Like finding an actual date, there is no one size fits super feature.
There is also no problem with using more than one app on your phone. Unlike boyfriends or girlfriends, apps, even dating apps, don’t get jealous of each other when you give your time and maybe a bit of money to all of them.
Spending a bit to support the developers is also not a bad idea. Keeping the app going ensures that it’s still there when you need it. Besides, some of those additional extra features are cool.
Which dating app has the highest success rate?
If you are in the dating game for a while and only want the best, it is obvious to look for the dating apps that have the highest chances of getting you a match.
By far, Tinder has been the app with the highest success rate. But what is suitable for you also depends on the kind of relationship you are seeking.
Hinge is considered as one of the most favorable serious dating sites for serious relationships and that is followed by Bumble.
There are many online dating sites out there matching the needs of every customer. If you are looking for dating apps that work and did not make it to this list, we assure you there must be something suiting all your needs on the internet.
Keep your research on and rule the dating world.