Couples come in for therapy as a preventative because they are actively distressed, or somewhere in between.
Many couples seeking therapy still love each other, but wonder how they got to where they are.
At times, couples feel hopeless about their relationship, as if nothing will ever change. They find themselves in negative argument patterns that just don’t seem to get better. They wonder if their partner cares or loves them. Sometimes couples wonder if they should even stay together.
Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling can help with:
- Communication challenges
- Life Transitions
- Parenting Issues
- Fighting and defensiveness
- Issues around sex and intimacy
- Feelings of betrayal / infidelity
- Feeling frustrated and alone
- Emotional disconnect
I help my couples feel more connected and more intimate, creating a safer connection and bond. The work I do through Emotionally Focused Therapy is a powerful researched tool to help couples heal and work through their challenges.
Couples who complete the therapy process can expect:
- Increased intimacy, safety and feelings of connection
- Resolved conflicts
- Tools to understand what to do going forward when conflict arises
- Renewed sense of understanding and support for yourself and each other
- More ease and joy in your relationship
Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) is a short-term (8-20 sessions depending on the level of distress), structured therapy.
Studies find that 70-75% of couples move from distress to recovery and 90% show significant improvement. It is a present-focused, non-blaming, humanistic, and client-centered model. It is currently the most researched and validated therapy in the last 25 years. EFT works with many different types of problems and populations.
Couples therapy can be tremendously helpful for couples going through all sorts of challenges. It can offer a safe space to work through issues that you can’t seem to clear on your own.
Find more intimacy, emotional connection, and bonding with your couple. Life will always throw things our way to navigate through as a couple. It’s how your couple works together in moments of stress that can make all the difference. Email us to see how we can help.
Melissa Divaris is also listed in Best Marriage Therapists in New York City
Education:Melissa Divaris Thompson received a BA degree, followed by a MA.
Licensing & Certifications:
- License State: New York and New Jersey and Virginia
- License Number: 000806 in NY, received 2010
- EFT trained, AEDP trained, EMDR certified, Reiki practitioner
Types of Therapy:
- Family Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Somatic Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Internal Family Systems Therapy
- Somatic Psychology
- Marriage And Family Therapy
Services Provided Via:
- Internet meeting
Working With Marriages for:
- 13 Year(s)
Free Phone Consultations?
Hourly Fees Range: