Deciding to begin the therapy process is an important and life changing decision. Life can bring so many beautiful and challenging experiences and opportunities. As a therapist, I believe that each of us has the knowledge and ability to create the life that we desire. Sometimes we just need some support and guidance in that process.
I know therapy can be uncomfortable and akward at first. As a therapist, I respect how vulnerable and humbling it can be to take the necessary steps toward therapy. I strive to offer a comfortable and safe space to help you define your own goals. We will work collaboratively together to reach your goals, but you will always be the driver.
Clients tell me that I am different from other therapists. There are therapists that will simply sit and listen to you. I am not one of those therapists. I will listen and support you AND I will challenge you to work towards building a life that lights you up. We will laugh, cry, and have fun together, all while getting the tough work done! I offer the experience, knowledge, and skills to help you work through whatever issues are getting in your way, whether they be stress, life changes, family conflict, depression, anxiety, or trauma.
In my work with children and families, I believe that whether your family has been created through birth, foster, or adoption, developing attachment, connection, and unconditional love is paramount to creating a healthy and loving home. I work closely with children, teens, and caregivers to develop communication skills and interactions that make the home safe and comfortable for all.
I understand how important it is to feel comfortable and compatible with your therapist. Feel free to contact me for a consultation to see if I would be a good fit for your therapy journey. I look forward to speaking with you!
Melissa’s Book Recommendations:
- Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman
- Getting Past Your Past by Francine Shapiro
- The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
- The Empath’s Survival Guide by Judith Orloff
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Wolfpack by Abby Wambach
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- Attached by Amir Levine & Rachel Heller
- The Whole Brain Child by Daniel J. Siegel
- The Connected Child by Karyn B. Purvis
- The Monster at the end of this Book (Starring Lovable Furry Old Grover) by Jon Stone
Melissa A is also listed in Best Marriage Therapists in Santa Ana
Licensing & Certifications:
- License State: California
- License Number: LMFT 40670, received 2004
Working With Marriages for:
- 18 Year(s)