Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login
Asked by Last Updated:

Is it a good idea to adopt a child from another country as my husband and I are planning to relocate?

Is it a good idea to adopt a child from another country as my husband and I are planning to relocate?

2 Answers

Sweetsauce84 Answered:

Whether you are relocating to another country or a local move, I think it would be in the child's best interest for you to wait. Moving to a different country is a big adjustment for an adult. Imagine what it will be like for a child......a child who will not only have to adapt to a new culture, but a new family, a new house, a new school, new everything! The most important thing this child will need from you during the adoption process is stability.

SULLIVAN41 Answered:

Many couples adopt children from other countries even if they’re not relocating, but certainly if you are planning an international move, then you may want to consider adopting a child that’s born in the country you plan on living in. Remember that when you adopt a child in a foreign country, they will not automatically gain U.S. citizen status. According to the State Department, children adopted abroad automatically acquire U.S. citizenship if the following are true: “At least one of the child's parents is a U.S. citizen; the child is under 18; the child lives in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent; the child is admitted into the United States as an immigrant for lawful permanent residence; and the adoption is final.”

Write Your Answer

Please Wait Saving...