Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

I have been a victim of domestic violence. If I go for counseling, will it help me?

Answers (3)

SULLIVAN41 said on
Counseling can be very helpful for survivors of domestic violence. The consequences of abuse are many, and you will likely have been affected in many areas of your life, including: how you approach romantic relationships, your self-esteem/self image, ability to trust others, knowing how to set boundaries, and so on. Counseling will help you develop a healthy sense of self, including how to set boundaries with others and how to begin trusting again. It may take some time, but if you find a good counselor you feel comfortable with and do what they ask of you, you can eventually feel better.
lifewanderer said on
Yes. Counselling will help you come to grips with the trauma you have experienced, and also build the confidence and positivity in yourself. You can also learn lifeskills on how not to fall into the same traps again, and what measure you can take in the event that you have found yourself in a similar situation.

But if you are still in this situation currently, I would advise you not just to seek counselling help, but to inform the relevant authorities as well, who can take action against the perpetrator.
yosemitefaerie said on
Counselling is very effective! Don't discredit it! Counselling can assist many victims in processing their trauma in a safe and sound way, as guided by an expert to ensure that you won't develop any personality disorders as a result of it. It can also help you understand yourself and what lead to the violence so that you can prevent anything from happening in the future.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer