Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Who issues marriage licenses and how long does it take?

Answers (5)

tom said on
The procedure to obtain a marriage license differ across countries and is mainly issued by Church or state authority along with payment of fees. For this couple needs to fulfill basic criterias of age and getting physical exam. After filing application it takes not more than 15 minutes. Once you get marriage license, there is a waiting period of 24 hours before ceremony can be performed. If you are planning a wedding then you should know how to get a marriage license.  
SUTTON32 said on
Marriage license requirements are typically set by state law, so the amount of time it takes to get one will vary from state to state. That said, the issuing authority is usually the county clerk’s office in the county where the wedding is held. In most cases, you can send in your marriage license (that’s the one that gets signed by the wedding officiate and, in most cases, witnesses) and the county will process it within about 7 – 10 days. Once the license has been processed, you can order your marriage certificate. That’s the official record that says you’ve been married.
lifewanderer said on
This is a very situational question, and depends on your location. Generally marriage licenses are commissioned by a Registry of Marriage department from your government, and is a comprehensive process that happens over many days. You will have to usually submit an application first which will is subject to approval. After which, you have get a solemnizer to officiate your marriage before you can get the marriage certificate.
yosemitefaerie said on
Getting my marriage license took about 3 months from the time I applied for it with my local marriage registry. This was mainly because I chose to have the solemnization outside of the registry at a venue of my choice, and I picked the date myself. If you need a marriage license fast, the registries might be able to consider your case especially in urgent cases.
sanra23 said on
The procedure to obtain a marriage license differs across countries and is mainly issued by the Church or the state authority (along with payment of fees). For this couple needs to fulfill basic criteria - must be of marriageable age and get tested (if needed). After filing for the application, it takes not more than 15 minutes. Once you get the marriage license, there is a waiting period of 24 hours before the ceremony can be performed. Here's a piece that can help: how to get a marriage license.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer