Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Is intimacy important in a friendship?

Answers (4)

LuckyInLove said on
No it definitely isn't! Especially if we're referring to a platonic friendship. If this is more than a friendship, then yes, intimacy is very important. For just friends though, you do need to understand each other's needs in order to be the best friend you can possibly be to each other.
MayaPhD said on
I think LuckyInLove is probably thinking about physical intimacy when she says it isn't important. I'd like to talk about intimacy as in closeness.

I think it is important to have intimacy in a friendship. Well, actually, I think it’s important only if you really want to establish a deep and meaningful friendship with that person. I remember going out to lunch with a friend and we were supposedly close, but she never talked to me about anything real, just superficial things, and I told her that if we were really going to have a strong friendship she had to start opening up to me. We’ve been friends for over 10 years now J
MelissaMatters said on
Intimacy like sex? No! Unless you want to go on to have a different relationship with this person. If you want to be more than friends.

If you mean intimacy like having a really strong emotional connection then I think it does matter. There are some friends, however, that you just won't be able to be that close to, maybe because you don't really know each other that well or because you only do certain things together and no one is really that invested.
DUNCAN said on
Close friendships often involve what’s called “emotional intimacy” which has to do with spiritual connections and personal bonding.  Being comfortable talking and expressing your innermost thoughts and feelings is a form of emotional intimacy. Emotional intimacy is one of the key elements of closeness in a friendship, especially amongst children and young people.  It is of the ways we come to learn to engage intimacy in our adult love lives.  Whether or not it is important in friendships (I say it is), It can certainly be very therapeutic, allowing us to release energy through confiding in one another, and therefore experiencing trust. Being emotionally close to others as children opens the door for us to engage in intimate relationships as adults.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer