Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

How can marriage counseling help me in resolving issues after infidelity?

Answers (4)

BookLover4Life said on
I don’t think it’s going to be something that gets resolved quickly or easily, but a good counselor should make the sessions a safe place for you and your spouse to figure out a few things, like why the infidelity happened in the first place and steps to try to avoid it in the future.
Kern101 said on
Marriage counseling can open the doors to honesty that previously wasn't present in your marriage before. It helps with the flow of communication between you and your partner and could lead to both of you discovering things about each other that you didnt know. As was stated above, it definitely wont be an easy process but it can be done.
MelissaMatters said on
Infidelity…  This is a tough one.  It is especially difficult when you feel like you don't have the option to leave. I was 19 when I got married to my high school sweetheart.  I was only 17 when I got engaged.  My ex-husband cheated on me and for a while, I felt trapped.  We had a baby and were living in GA away from all of my family and friends.  He became abusive and finally I had no choice but to get out.  But there was a long period of time, where I felt STUCK.

I ended up going to counseling, but on my own so I could learn how to develop my own sense of self and not get myself into that sort of situation again.

Maybe if we had gone together at the beginning before things got really bad we could have had a different outcome...maybe.
Lolita said on
Infidelity destroys trust and that is one of the hardest things to rebuild. So while counselling can help both parties to understand why it happened, it is entirely your choice whether or not to continue with the relationship. Don't judge yourself badly if you cannot trust that person again and decide to end it. I have seen relationships where a child has resulted from the infidelity  nd they ahve had to take in the child as well. And yet because the husband was truly repentant and completely changed his ways, they have rebuilt their relationship and are still happily married 25 years later.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer