Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Is relationship therapist as a career right for me?

Answers (7)

LuckyInLove said on
If you love it, are passionate about it and good at it, I don't see why not. It can be a bit difficult to be a counselor though, Hearing about people's problems may have a draining effect you on, but it is definitely a fulfilling career. Sit down and consider all the pros and cons and be sure to think about how they would affect you before you decide what you want to do.
BookLover4Life said on
I think if you’re always thinking about how to help people, or if you gravitate towards books about family life, or like to listen to people talk about their relationships then these are probably good indicators that you have at least a genuine interest in the area and should consider finding out more.
MelissaMatters said on
I agree with LuckyinLove, I feel that a relationship therapist can have a rewarding job, but there’s a lot of stalls to muck before you get to the end result.  I think it has to be a job that you really want to do and have a passion for.  In my opinion, the hardest thing would be dealing with a couple where one significant other tends to demean or verbally abuse the other.  Seeing someone degraded or made to feel bad about themself is a hard pill to swallow.  Whether it be about a persons’ appearance (maybe she/he gained weight) or their lack of prestige, it is hard to see someone inflict harm, especially when the perpetrator doesn’t even realize they are doing it, or the victim feels as if they deserve it.
PETTY34 said on
A prospective therapist is someone that likes to help others, but they need much more than just a big heart. A therapist must
exercise good judgment, and be able to set and maintain solid professional boundaries.  He or she must also be open-minded, perceptive, and possess strong communication skills. He or she will also need to exhibit patience and self-control.  Couples in conflict are often upset during counseling sessions; they may also argue, or make offensive comments or exhibit unpredictable behavior.  A therapist in this field must be able to think on their feet, and respond appropriately and professionally, to any given situation.  Time management, consistency and accountability are important traits, too; since you will have to establish trust with your clientele from the very
beginning.

On average, it takes seven years of post-secondary education to become a marriage
and family therapist.  Once graduate requirements are achieved, the incumbent will also need to apply for, and maintain, licensure.
crystalbella said on
Being patient, understanding and able to be objective at all times are important qualities for a relationship therapist to have. In addition to have a good knowledge of human psychology as well as marriage techniques, the therapist must also be adept in handling conflict management in the event of escalating situations. If you feel like you are able to perform all of these qualities, then yes this career path can be considered!
hillary said on
To be a relationship therapist you should have a strong background in marriage and family therapy. They mainly work with clients to gain insights and relevant information into their thinking process. Their main work involves in working with clients for building communication skills, understanding differences between couples and most importantly to solve their problems. A couple coming for a counseling thinks how much or little should I share with the relationship therapist, so a therapsit should deal it with empathy and learned skills to resolve their issues. For this you need to have a UG degree in pyschology and other subjects will also do, while some universities have relationship counselling programs. Later you can even enroll for MA programs in respective subjects. For job prospects you can even set up your private practice, go for research and even consulting. If you have these skills then go ahead for this career option.

redrice89 said on
You must be comfortable in dealing with all aspects of marriage, including sex life, pre-marital issues, those concerning children and even divorce issues. You must also remain objective an impartial during the counselling sessions so that your professional opinion is not muddied. Be able to implement all the techniques you have learned effectively, and present yourself as an understanding and patient individual to your clients.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer