Marriage.com said on
Getting a marriage license in the United States - Basic Requirements:
- The bride and groom need to bring in identification, complete necessary paperwork, pay a specifc fee (different in different states) and sometimes carry blood test results to the county clerk. The marriage license is either mailed or collected by the bride and groom. Depending on the state, there is usually a waiting period before the licence is given.
- The couple are then married by someone legally allowed to do so.
- That person along with at least 2 witnesses (and sometimes the bride and groom) sign the marriage license.
- It is then returned to the county clerk's office.
- Afte the waiting period, the couple can purchase the copies of the certified marriage certificate from the clerk's office.