Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

What are marriage vows? What is their significance?

Answers (4)

TheDetailedDiva said on
Vows are something like promises that a couple recites out loud, usually in front of friends and family and in a marriage ceremony of some kind. I think they’re meant as a sort of verbal commitment to do certain things. I think for me, the significance comes from professing these intentions out loud and with witnesses. It’s almost like a promise to a community as well. It’s saying, I promise to do right by this member of your tribe.
MichelleM said on
A vow is a verbal commitment or promise to do something. Marriage vows are taken in front of other people because they are witnesses to the undertaking betwwen two people to love and look after each other, to put each other first before other people and to be committed to each other. It is also an acknowldegement that things may not always run smoothly, but that you promise to keep on loving and caring for each other anyway. Vows show that you have chosen to spend your life with that one person out of all the people in the world.
USCMiguel said on
Marriage vows are how you demonstrate you are commitment to your significant other. It’s a way to reveal how committed you will be.

For instance you can vow to always be there for them, to support them through the good and bad times.

Vows are important because you are telling them just before you are declared life partners that you will love them. More importantly those words you share are supposed to also be shared with God as it is he who is allowing this union of two people.

Marriage vows can be seen as you telling God how you plan to do right by this other person if he should allow the union to exist. Many people see is as laying the foundation for the marriage. For example, people vow to always be honest, loving and spontaneous to keep their relationship full of love. They vow never to let anyone come between them and to be with them until their very last days.

Vows serve as an outline of what you can contribute to a life of marriage.
Forester said on
Marriage vows are important because the vows taken at the altar are considered sacrosanct commitments that the couple must honor for the rest of their lives.  In some cases, failure to uphold wedding vows can affect the outcome of divorce proceedings and may even result in ex-communication from the Church, or other, lesser consequences.  People take their wedding vows very seriously because these words may be the most important commitment they’ve ever made (or ever will make) in their lives.  There aren’t really any verbal or written contracts that carry the heavy weight of eternity or God’s judgment the way wedding vows do.
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer