Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Can I have my marriage certificate changed?

Answers (4)

stargazer said on
I´m not sure but a change should be possible. You better contact the vital records office in the state where you were born for further information.
Bradon said on
A marriage certificate is an official government document and once it’s been signed and recorded by the county clerk, it generally cannot be altered.  There are some exceptions, though, and each state has different laws that govern the do’s and don’ts
involved.  Usually the only changes that can be made are to correct errors on the document or fill in information that was left blank.  Some states do not allow corrections to be made at all, while other states have a whole department setup for amendments to vital records.  Visit the website for your state government and do a search to find out what’s allowed where you live.
lifewanderer said on
No. The marriage certificate is a legal contract between 2 people, and many countries do not allow any changes to be made. In fact, each marriage certificate record will be permanently in the registry's database, and it is not possible to make any changes to that either. The only changes that are possible is to either annull the certificate (i.e. get a divorce). Even name changes are not allowed.
yosemitefaerie said on
No, I don't think it can be. That's because the marriage certificate was a legal document formed and made at the time of the wedding, so is considered binding according to the parameters then. Yes, as lifewanderer says, you can't even alter your name on the certificate even if you legally changed yours through the deed poll!
Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login

Post your answer