Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login
Asked by Last Updated:

How long does it take to get over a divorce?

How long does it take to get over a divorce?

1 Answers

Emily Rodes Answered:

Whether you were the one who decided to end the marriage or you were completely flabbergasted by your spouse's decision to leave - divorce is hard.
How long does it take to get over a divorce? There is no hard and fast answer. I know that's not the answer you want to hear while you're agonizing over your lost love, but the truth is everybody handles breakups differently.
Different factors will play into how quickly (or not) you will be able to move on after divorce. For example, if you have children, if you were shocked by your spouse's decision to leave, if you were very much in love with your partner when they sprung the divorce on you, or infidelity in the marriage can all make it much harder to get over.
Here are a couple of tips to make your transition into single-life easier:
Allow yourself time to grieve. Losing your marriage is almost like mourning the death of a loved one.
Get a support system. Surround yourself with friends and family who love you.
Create a routine. Once you get back into the swing of things (going out with friends, heading to work, cleaning the house, getting the kids ready for school) the easier it will be to get a hold of your life.
Focus on personal growth (on that note, this article 'How to get over a breakup and grow as a person' was really helpful for a friend of mine who recently went through a divorce!) You probably feel quite lost after getting out of your marriage. Find out who you are by engaging in hobbies you love or heading to therapy.
I hope these tips help you on your journey to divorce recovery!

Write Your Answer

Please Wait Saving...