Sign Up
Username must not be empty
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login
Asked by Last Updated:

How to get a green card through marriage

How to get a green card through marriage

1 Answers

David Dawson Answered:

If you're getting married but your spouse lives in another country, it's only natural to wonder how you can obtain a green card so that you can be together!
If you are marrying someone from the United States, the first thing you will want to do is apply for a marriage green card. You can do this easily online.
This card allows you to live and work in the United States with permanent resident status. From here you will have to:
Legally establish your relationship. This is through the Form I-130, called the Petition for Alien Relative. Find the documents you will need to fill out this form here.
Next, you'll need to file for form I-485 called the Adjustment of Status application.
After this, you will be asked to attend a green card interview where you'll be asked even more questions about the authenticity of your marriage. Then you will await approval.
Some fees come with applying for a green card. These can run well over a thousand dollars and will not be reimbursed if you are rejected.
It's important to check the laws and regulations of the place you intend to move to since there are different rules depending on what country it is.
I feel the need to throw in here that you should never get married just to obtain a green card! Not only is this super unromantic and potentially hurtful to your partner, but it can also create a host of legal troubles for you down the road if you choose to leave your spouse.
Interested in learning more? I read a great article you might like called 'What you need to know about green card marriages.'

Write Your Answer

Please Wait Saving...