Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login
Asked by Last Updated:

What do I do if I can't stand my wife’s mom?

What do I do if I can't stand my wife’s mom?

1 Answers

David Dawson Answered:

Ugh. Monster-in-laws are the worst!
Having an overbearing mother-in-law can create unnecessary tension in your marriage, and who wants that? Here are 3 easy things you can do if you can't stand your wife’s mom.
Talk to your wife. Communication will get you a leg up in this situation, but only if you do it right! If your wife is close to her mother, she isn't going to want to hear about all of the little things you find annoying about her. Find a way to respectfully address some of the concerns you have about your mother-in-law.
Try to make peace with your MIL. This is probably the last thing you want to do, but it's important to get to the bottom of whatever issues you're having.
Accept that you will never be friends. If you've done everything you can think of (showing her you love and respect her daughter as well as their mother/daughter relationship, socialized with her, stayed respectful despite her nitpicking, etc.) to show her that you want to make peace and she won't play ball, just back off.
Do your best to stay cordial when you absolutely have to socialize together but otherwise, you do your thing and she can do hers.
Have a mother-in-law who is downright narcissistic? You’ll find this article on ‘’ super helpful!

Write Your Answer

Please Wait Saving...