Username
Username must not be empty
Password
Password must not be empty
Already have an account? Login
Asked by Last Updated:

Am I being unreasonable to want my husband to earn an income?

Hi, Approximately 7 years ago my husband and small child and I took the leap to move to a developing country for his work.
I was on maternity leave and so it made sense given the pay he would receive.
He quit his job in Australia and we did it.
We followed the first 12 months with another 2 year job in an even more developing country and had another baby.
I was not at all happy in the second place and afterwards we moved back home.
He decided he didn't want to go back to the 9-5 grind and set about setting up a business and doing short term consultancy work while I worked up to 5 jobs to keep things going.
We had one more baby and things were a bit tight and he was offered another gig overseas.
We took it and now nearly 2 years later we're home again and not planning on going anywhere.
He is still operating his business, but refusing to draw an income from it, saying he needs to keep investing it back into the business.
There is no long-term plan, other than to try to make money, and no intention of drawing an income.
We are currently living off my wage.
I am feeling a little bitter about the sacrifices I have made over the last 7 years.
It's not like his business isn't earning money - he is just wanting to keep it in the business rather than take a wage.
He tells me I am being unsupportive when I try to talk to him about it and I honestly can't tell if I am.
He says most partners would support their partner trying to set up a business, but to be honest, I feel like I have supported his career whims for the last 7 years and it's time for him to accept that he has to get a proper job.
Am I being unreasonable - very happy to be told that I am.

1 Answers

Alice257 Answered:

Never keep your self-respect at stake, it is necessary to get recognition, especially by your partner. But when things go way different as in your scenario, I would suggest to be the brave and take stand for yourself as you are much more supportive than him.

Write Your Answer

Please Wait Saving...