There’s nothing like the winter holidays to spend some quality time with your family! No matter how and where, Christmas is the perfect time of the year to gather all your dear ones in one place so that you can all enjoy a merry little time together! Depending on your time, budget and disposition, you can choose from quite a few manners in which to spend this special day with your loved ones.
Santa Claus is coming to town!
Why should Santa be the only one to arrive in town for the holidays when you can call all your family members at your house for Christmas? Yes, it might take you quite a bit to prepare dinner and presents for more than just a person or two, but the joy and cheer a group can bring to your home can’t really compare itself to a solitary holiday. While couples with children might have whom to liven things up for them, for those of you who are alone this is the perfect occasion to enjoy Christmas to its fullest.
It’s also the perfect time to impress your dear ones with your cooking skills; there is a wide variety of recipes and Christmas food decorations, that you can try and have fun with, which you might not feel like preparing while alone at home. From homemade meals you rarely cook to deserts in the shape of Christmas trees, stars and reindeers, let your imagination run wild and create a feast to remember! However, if cooking is not your strong point, you can always run to the nearest market to choose from a wide variety of imaginative treats.
The joy of sharing
Instead of sending your presents through mail, offering them in person is always more impactful and pleasing for both the giver and the receiver. Gather around the Christmas tree and start exchanging presents or hide them around the house and leave them guessing what belongs to whom to make things more entertaining. There are a multitude of games that can be played in regards to handing out presents and, depending on your type of humor, a simple gesture can turn into a hilarious moment.
If spending more than a few hours is a possibility for everyone involved, try turning a few days into an entertaining affair by playing various games together, visiting shops downtown or simply taking your time to exchange some stories. Nowadays, our hectic schedules and tiring working hours rarely leave room for meaningful interaction. Rediscover family traditions which you enjoyed as a child or simply bask in your family’s love and attention for a change. It’s not only entertaining, but also relaxing. And, in case you don’t have any family traditions, it is never too late to start one now.
Here are some examples of fun activities you could turn into future family traditions:
- If you want to make the act of giving presents a special one, try hiding the gifts and leaving riddles for each person to solve in order to find his or her present. This will make everything more fun and exciting and will have everyone guessing not only what, but also where there gift is.
- Light some candles, gather around the Christmas tree and take turns singing carols or telling a short story or memory of past winter holidays spent together with another family member that you hold precious and feel thankful for. Presents are always a source of happiness, but try opening up and sharing love as well!
- Buy baubles and ask each member to secretly write a message for another family member and give them to each intended person once they are done. To make things even more interesting, gather them all up and put them away until next Christmas when each person gets to see and remember last year’s wishes for one another.
- Choose a person every year to name their favorite winter holidays’ movie and have everyone watch it together. Name a person each year and take turns choosing who gets to decide what the film will be. You can do this when it comes to picking movies, but also activities. It’s even more fun to anticipate what will this year’s chosen family member decide to do for Christmas and what await the entire family on this special occasion.
- Travelling abroad for Christmas has gradually begun to be more common than staying at home for the occasion. If it’s a possibility for you and your family, spend a few days in a winter wonderland abroad.
Whether it is just your parents, relatives or very close friends you consider family, choose to share these precious moments together and make beautiful memories for the years to come. Bring the magic and the warmth of Christmas holidays not only into your home, but also in your heart!