6 Things About Young Military Marriage That You Should Know
Marry young. Then fail. That’s the general assumption right? Especially when you add the additional nail in the coffin. Marry young to someone in the military. Then fail. That’s the assumed course of where most young military marriages are headed but it’s not always true. Young military marriages can do more than just survive, they can thrive and stand the test of time just like any other marriage. They can even end up stronger and closer than other marriages. Here are some things that you may not know about young military marriage:
1. You grow up together. When you marry young in the military if you want it to work, you have one choice and one choice only and that’s to grow up, grow up fast. The maturing process may have some growing pains, especially when the reality of multiple deployments and moves sets in, but the magical thing is if you survive them you grow up together, forging a special bond that brings you even closer. How many other married couples get to say that they grew up together?
2. You know what people are saying. Marrying young doesn’t make you oblivious to the rest of the world. You know there are those scoffing at the seriousness of your commitment behind your back and rooting against you. You know marrying young seems crazy, it is a little crazy, but so is your love for each other and it just makes you even more determined to stick it through.
3. You know you’re going to change. You’re not naive… Ok, maybe you’re a little naive; you kind of have to be a little naive and starry-eyed to get married at any age. But you know you will both change through the years. People change all the time, especially when they’re young, and marrying young doesn’t stop that process, so instead you just learn to change together.
4. You have a lot of fun. Your early twenties are supposed to be some of the most fun, craziest years of your life. Marrying young doesn’t stop that. You still go out, you still drink a little too much sometimes, you just know who you’re going home with at the end of the night.
5. It can be hard. Sometimes all the things they say about young military marriage are true. It can be hard. You don’t know what you’re doing. Sometimes it feels impossible. But you pull it together and push through those times because you love your spouse SO much that you married them against all odds and you’re determined to beat those odds.
6. You’re in it to win it. Marrying young in the military is a little crazy, but so is your love for your spouse. You married them while you were young because you wanted to grow with them, you wanted to struggle with them, and you wanted every day of the rest of your life to be with them. You may have married young, but you’re in it for the long haul.
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.