If you are struggling with sex addiction or know someone addicted to sex, you will need a certified sex addiction therapist who can render the right sex addiction help alongside sex addiction treatment.
In the field of sex addiction therapy the clinicians to turn to should be Certified Sexual Addiction Therapists or CSATs.
Prerequisites to becoming sexual addiction therapist
There are many prerequisites that a therapist must possess to become a CSAT.
To achieve the designation a practitioner must have a Masters-level degree, be fully licensed within their geographic area and have at least five years of experience in the counseling field.
Sexual addiction encompasses many complex issues that affect everything from your marriage to activities of daily living, and you need to find a sex addiction therapist with the right training to help you.
CSAT professionals have the education and ongoing training that is needed to understand and treat the many facets of sexual addiction treatment and provide effective sex addiction counseling.
Before you decide to visit a sexual addiction therapist to seek sex addiction therapy, it would also be helpful to overview sex addiction signs and sex addiction symptoms.
What is sex addiction
There are many prevalent theories and assumptions that revolve in the counseling and psychology circles around sex addiction.
Sexual addiction in general terms can be described as an uncontrollable urge or compulsive behavior to have sex or carry out any other form of sexual activity in order to get a high, relief or a quick fix.
It can be compared to alcohol or an other substance dependency where the user’s compulsive need to consume the substance can impair their mental and physical health, relationships, while also compromising their and others’personal safety.
Sex addicts are unable to alter their behavior and use a judicious sense of discernment despite the negative repercussions of their sex addiction.
Sex addictions signs and what causes sex addiction
According to sexual addiction therapists, sex addiction is an unregulated sexual behavior, where the addict has unusually strong sex drive.
Before answering the question “how to treat sex addiction”, it is crucial to identify signs of compulsive sexual behavior and understand what causes sexual addiction.
Glaring signs of sex addiction
- Inability to control the sexual urges
- Constantly fixating on sexual fantasies and thoughts
- Compulsive pornography
- Exhibiting an abnormal voyeuristic streak
- Excessive sexting or engagement in cybersex
- Lying to the partner due to sexual transgressions
- Seeking multiple partners or engaging in promiscuity to give vent to chronic sexual impulses
- Going on a guilt trip after sexual encounters
- Sabotaging personal well being and putting partner’s mental and physical health in jeopardy
- Making sexual activities the focal point of their life
- Continued sexual escapades despite understanding the adverse repercussions
- Sidelining all activities and other productive interests due to energies centered around sex
- Approaching sex as a tool for self pleasure, overstepping the boundaries, at the expense of their partner’s integrity
- Masochistic behavior, where a person derives sexual pleasure and satisfaction from their own humiliation or pain
What causes sex addiction
Sexual addiction therapists reckon that there are a couple of contributing factors that give rise to sex addiction.
- Predisposition to traits linked with sexual addiction like anxiety, depression, or impulsiveness
- Higher levels of sex related hormones like testosterone or estrogen
- An unhealthy exposure to sexual content
- Modeling own behavior based on the prevalent behavior in social group
- Rejection in relationships
- Poor self esteem and need for validation and acceptance
How to treat porn addiction
Expert sexual addiction therapists warn against the detrimental effects of sex addiction. It is as bad and debilitating a condition as any other form of addiction.
Even something as acceptable and commonplace as watching porn can spiral into an uncontrolled addiction.
Porn addiction therapy or porn addiction counseling can help you understand how porn addiction affects your brain and equip you with strategies to overcome porn addiction.
Sexual addiction counseling can help diagnose the problem, address that underlying factors to answer what causes the addiction, equip with coping mechanism to deal with one’s thoughts in a healthy way and treat the sex addiction.
If you believe that you or someone you know is struggling with sexual addiction, do not hesitate to seek help. See a mental health professional to identify the problem and provide guidance on the path to recovery and living a healthy life.
Want to have a happier, healthier marriage?
If you feel disconnected or frustrated about the state of your marriage but want to avoid separation and/or divorce, the marriage.com course meant for married couples is an excellent resource to help you overcome the most challenging aspects of being married.